Women have, throughout history, depended on each other in delivering their babies. Our modernity has removed the kind of support a doula provides out of the birth experience but as our society shifts and heals, we have begun to realize the value in the way things used to be.
Birth is a ceremony.
: a person trained to provide advice, information, emotional support, and physical comfort to a mother before, during, and just after childbirth
Research shows that childbirth does go more smoothly with a doula: labor is 25 percent shorter, the need for epidural pain relief is 60 percent less and the Caesarean section rate is reduced by half.— Susan Gilbert
As a birth doula, I support the expectant person in the following ways:
- One complimentary appointment to meet and feel out the relationship (it is so crucial that the expectant person feel completely comfortable with me provide the best experience in such an intimate experience)
- 2 prenatal meetings in your home, unless another location works best for the expecting person
- Available via text for all your questions and needs from the time of becoming your doula
- Labor support
- from onset active labor until a couple hours after baby is born
- Essential oil support for birth and immediate postpartum needs
- diffuser for use in the delivery room if you do not have one
- Support with Mexican rebozo and light massage with essential oils
- Photography in the delivery room
- 1-2 Postpartum follow-ups at your home
What does a prenatal meeting look like?
During my prenatal visits I hold space for you, mama. How are you feeling? What should you expect during labor? What should you bring to the birthing room? What fears do you have? The better I understand how I can best support your emotional needs will help me support you during your labor. I like to talk to expectant parents about what to expect in the days and weeks after baby has arrived and help them to truly enjoy the beautiful period of bringing a newborn home.
Birth Doula Fees
My mission is to bring accessibility to this role. Fees are based on a sliding scale and other factors like location of client’s home and/or place of ceremony. Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss payment options if you are being called to have a doula with you in the delivery room. To confirm you as a client, 50% of the fee is to be paid at the time of the signing of our contract and agreement to work together. The balance can be paid at 37 weeks of gestation.